H O M E  P A G E




The Riddlesdown Recorder
 On Line


Weekly Planning List

Streets A-L

Streets M-Z

Non-residential Nearby


Planning Applications

Building Control Applications


Croydon Council Facilities,

Council Information, MP

and Contact Details

Information on Local Healthcare, Leisure,

Facilities & Shops

Police Contact Numbers;


and Scam Information

Transport - Rail, Road & Bus Information & Reports


Community Page
(Things to do, join and help with)




A Brief History

The RRA Area

The Committee

Collegiate Liaison Officer

RRA AGM Minutes

Latest accounts


History from the Recorder


A Description

Short Walks and Teas

Picture Gallery


Privacy Statement

Terms of Use

Founded 1937




Labour Controlled 41 seats; Conservative 29 seats (4 May 2018)

Tel: 020 8726 6000 or 020 8686 4433

Access Croydon and Call Centre open 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday

London Borough of Croydon;

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk



Report any problem on line - Either Anonymously or through Your Account

with Croydon Council, if you are registered with them Link


Postal correspondence can be sent to the Councillors:

c/o Town Hall, Katharine Street, Croydon CR0 1NX


Cllr Helen Redfern

Tel: 07783 152334 or helen.redfern@croydon.gov.uk

Cllr Simon Hoar

Tel: 07783 152372 or simon.hoar@croydon.gov.uk


Cllr Yvette Hopley

Tel 020 8404 3462 or yvette.hopley@croydon.gov.uk

Cllr Lynne Hale

Tel: 020 8405 6721 or lynne.hale@croydon.gov.uk

Cllr Tim Pollard

Tel: 020 8251 8500 or councillor@timpollard.co.uk

Alternatively residents can call Croydon Council’s main number on 020 8726 6000 (Mon to Fri ; 9am to 4pm) and ask for a Councillor listed above to call them back.

A map showing the two Wards in the RRA area (PO&R & Sanderstead) can be viewed here

A full map, of the Croydon Borough, with all the new Ward changes can be view on this link (in pdf).

OUR MP for CROYDON SOUTH (Conservative)

Chris Philp MP, The House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Tel 020 7219 8026 or chris.philp.mp@parliament.uk

Update from Chris Philp Nov 2017

Note: The views expressed in the contents of this update are those of our MP and do not necessarily reflect the views of the RRA.


Steve O’Connell (Conservative)

Tel: 020 7983 4353 or steve.o'connell@london.gov.uk - Website

From 3 April 2017; permits or ID will required to visit any of the three household and recycling centres in the Borough;

see this Council webpage


Purley Oaks - Brighton Rd, S Croydon CR8 1DG

Monday to Sunday: 8 am to 3.30pm (No Vans)

For the disposal of paint - see this link

Factory Lane, W Croydon CR0 3RL

Monday to Saturday: 7.30am to 4.30pm

Sunday:8.30am to 4pm

Fishers Farm, North Downs Rd, New Addington CR0 0LB

Monday to Friday: 8am to 4pm

Saturday: 9am to 2pm

Sunday: 9am to 1pm


Purley Pool & Recreation Centre Link

50 High Street, CR8 2AA

020 8668 7251

Waddon Leisure Centre Link

Purley Way, Waddon, Croydon, CR0 4RG

020 8760 0657

Purley Library Link

Banstead Rd, CR8 3YH

020 3700 1013 (Closed Wed & Sunday)

Selsdon Library Link

Addington Rd, CR2 8LA

020 3700 1017 (Closed Wed & Sunday)

Sanderstead Library Link

Farm Fields, S Croydon CR2 0HL

020 3700 1015 (Closed Mon, Thurs & Sunday)

Freedom of Information Requests to Croydon Council Link

Large Unwanted Items and Other Collections - 25/5/18

Croydon Council are now offering free collection from your property of 'large unwanted items and other collections'. This includes white goods.

Full details are on this link to the Council's website.

You will need to create an 'Online Account' (if you don't have one already) to take up this service. We have contacted the Council to clarify what exactly is available for the service, as the description (as it currently stands) is slightly misleading in that they infer all collections for the year are free. The Council have advised "residents can receive up to 3 collections per year of 14 items, free of charge." They will review the wording on their website!

GREEN GARDEN WASTE - Updated 24/3/18

Croydon Council’s Green Garden waste collection service is now a paid subscription service running every fortnight. Link

To check your collection day for 2018, either sign in through My account or visit this page on the Council’s website and enter your address. If you haven’t paid for the Green Waste service, you will see that it says “collection day is unavailable”. Only those who have subscribed to this service will see their collection day.

Croydon Council’s charges for 2018 are;

£61.50 per annum per bin.

There is no discount for multiple bin orders. The cost will be £61.50 for each bin.

The 2018 Garden Waste fortnightly collection service commenced on 16 April 2018. The season is 26 fortnightly collections for 1 year.

Improved waste contract set for Croydon

Update 10/12/17
As the RRA advised many months ago, new wheelie bins are coming in 2018 for paper and cardboard recycling to replace the blue bins! The green bins will remain for plastic/metal etc. The Garden waste collections will be all year round.

News release from Croydon Council 5/12/17

“Croydon residents will be able to get a year-round green garden waste service and a free doorstep Christmas tree recycling collection under a new deal with the borough’s main contractor.

The measures are part of a new long-term contract with waste company Veolia that starts next year and is due to be discussed at next Monday’s council cabinet meeting. The new deal is aimed at improving the waste collection and street cleaning service provided to Croydon residents, saving around £5 million per year in costs to taxpayers and boosting recycling levels. The street cleaning part of the new contract will begin on 4 March 2018, and new waste collections will begin on 1 October 2018.

Part of the new deal involves extending the council’s green garden waste service so it becomes all year-round rather than the current April to November service. A 240-litre green garden waste bin will now cost £61.50 instead of the current £60 under the new service, which starts in April.

A free Christmas tree recycling service will also run for two weeks every year from 2018, starting from 8-19 January. Residents can leave their real Christmas trees outside their property for removal, and Veolia will then take the tree for composting. This service had been due to start in January 2019, but Veolia agreed to the council’s request to start a year sooner.

Central to the new contract are tougher performance targets for Veolia, including clearing 100% of fly-tips within 24 hours of being reported. The current rate is 87% within 48 hours. The new contract has a target of no more than 30 missed rubbish collections per 100,000 properties instead of 90 as in the current contract.

The new contract also includes:

• A larger wheelie bin for residents to place their recycled paper and card, replacing the old blue box

• A £9.6m investment in new vehicles, containers and refurbishing the depot

• Veolia cleaning footpaths, pavements and Croydon housing estates

• Agreeing in advance a programme to sweep up all autumn leaf fall from Croydon streets

• Battery and textile recycling

Waste collection frequency will not change – weekly for food recycling, alternate weekly recycling of paper and dry mixed recycling (cans, plastic and glass), and fortnightly for black rubbish bins.

Early in the new contract Veolia will also audit properties with access issues (such as flats above shops) to make sure they have the right number and size of bins and recycling containers. Veolia will also liaise more closely with private landlords to challenge them to take action on waste issues.

“This new deal will give our residents improved street cleaning and better waste and recycling collections, whether that’s bins, year-round grass cuttings or a used Christmas tree. This contract is important because it sets tougher targets for our contractor to stick to, and I look forward to them delivering a much-improved service across the borough.”

Councillor Stuart Collins, deputy leader – Clean Green Croydon

Also covered by Veolia’s new waste contract will be Merton, Sutton and Kingston councils, who with Croydon procured the new deal earlier this year as the South London Waste Partnership.”

Bonfire Advice and the law

Croydon Council - Illegal Encampments Link or 020 8726 6200 or Police Traveller Liaison Officer 020 8649 0266

Croydon Council – Environmental Reporting 020 8726 6200, like rubbish in streets, dog mess, leaves, graffiti, noise nuisance, missed rubbish collection and fly tipping.

Abandoned Vehicles on the highway and private land - Link

With the road tax discs scrapped from 1 October 2014 (Link), check whether a vehicle on the highway is taxed DVLA Link

Croydon Council - Noise Pollution - Unreasonable noise can be a nuisance at any time of the day or night. The Council has powers to deal with unreasonable noise levels from loud music, parties, construction works or car and house alarms. The law enables us to take action against those who cause a noise nuisance, which can result in a fine and confiscation of any equipment causing the noise.

You can report excessive noise by contacting the Pollution Enforcement team on these details Our services include:

Pollution service available  Daytime office hours: Tel: 020 8760 5483  Monday to Friday  09:00 to 17:00.

Night Duty Officer: Tel: 020 8726 6000  Sunday to Thursday 20:00 to 02:00.

Friday and Saturday  20:00 to 03:00.

24 Hour Emergency Officer: For emergencies only, including prior assigned noise cases, car and house alarms. Tel: 020 8726 6000  Monday to Friday;  17:00 to 09:00. Saturday and Sunday 03:00 to 20:00.

My Croydon Smartphone Noise App

You can now use the app to report noise nuisance. The app has a built in decibel meter to measure noise and let you know whether it is loud enough to be classed as a nuisance. If it is, the app will request more information, such as what category the noise falls under – for example anti-social behaviour, barking dogs, car alarms, as well as approximate location of the disturbance and can send a report straight through to the environmental team.

This mobile app improvement adds to a range of existing reporting features to make it easier and faster for you to report fly-tipping, empty properties, excess waste & rubbish in a front garden, blocked drains, potholes and more. For more information visit http://www.croydon.gov.uk/democracy/communications/app

Croydon Council’s Code of Practice for Building and Demolition Work by Contractors (not applicable for Household DIY).


“Hours of Work - 6.1

Where residential occupiers are likely to be affected by noise, the hours of noisy works shall normally be restricted to:-

Monday - Friday: 8.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.

Saturday: 8.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.

Sunday and Bank Holidays: No noisy activities on site

Further details from the Council on this link

Party Patrol Service (Operates May to September inclusive) Tel: 020 8726 6000

Saturday Night - 23:00 to 03:00. Link

Croydon Council Car Parking Enforcement - 020 8760 1966

All other Car Parking Enquiries: 020 8726 7100

Croydon Council – Planning & Building Control  020 8726 6800

Croydon Council – Leisure 020 8726 6900 for libraries, parks, sports & leisure centres

Croydon Council – Streets & Transport  020 8726 7100 to report defective street lights & street cleaning, road damage & road safety, obstructing trees, abandoned vehicles & parking issues.

CALAT (Croydon Adult Learning & Training) 0870 556 1630 or www.calat.ac.uk

ABOUT YOUR AREA - Click on the link below to Croydon Council’s website.

Set your home address and/or postcode and find out about all the information in your locality. Your local Councillors, MP, rubbish/recycling collection days, nearest station, your Council tax banding, etc, etc. Link

ROADWORKS - Unhappy about a set of roadworks in London and the time being taken and poor management? Click the Link to Transport for London (TFL) to report the problem  Link

Croydon On Line - Links and Information locally Link

Clearing snow & Ice from pavements - Advice from the Government - Link

Road Safety - Accidents near to you! Crashmap - Link

Fireworks and the Law

Updated 22/10/17

The RRA regularly receive complaints about loud fireworks being let off at times other than Bonfire night, New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year. Whilst the RRA do not want to be “party poopers” here are some reminders about fireworks and the law. The RRA would ask if you are holding a fireworks party over the next few weeks, you respect your neighbours and don’t let off fireworks after the times listed below.

Fireworks and the Law

The “permitted” exceptions are:

Buying fireworks

You can only buy fireworks (including sparklers) from registered sellers for private use on these dates:

At other times you can only buy fireworks from licensed shops. You can be fined up to £5,000 and/or imprisoned for up to 6 months for selling or using fireworks illegally. You could also get an on-the-spot fine of £90.

Croydon Council’s Pollution team advise the above legislation is enforced by the Police. The Met Police advise during the festive period of Bonfire night there are extra patrols across the borough to deal with any additional calls relating to anti social behaviour or disorder.

Or for further information go to this Government link

Disposal of surplus paint - New 18/3/16

The RRA were recently advised by a resident that the Purley Oaks Household & Recycling Centre no longer allowed surplus paint to be disposed into the bins.

We made enquiries with Sanderstead Ward Councillor Yvette Hopley and she contacted Croydon Council officers. The response from a Council Officer was that “paint is now classed as hazardous waste and therefore Croydon are unable to accept it at any of their three household reuse and recycling centres.” Paint being in liquid form appears to be the problem for disposal as it causes spillage if the container is damaged.

If you have any usable surplus paint, try offering it to friends, local community groups or you can contact Community Re-Paint. http://www.communityrepaint.org.uk/

However if this is not practicable;

For disposal - Water based paints - You can dispose of “solid” water based paint which can be sent to landfill. To make make paint solid, you have to remove the lid from the can and leave it off for a number of weeks (replace the lid) before disposing of it. By putting sand in it or cat litter or makes it go hard quicker or you can buy a special hardener. Recycling Centre staff will probably want to see that the paint is hard before disposing of it. Empty paint cans (plastic or metal) or dried water based paint can be disposed of at the Council’s recycling centres.

Oil paints - In the case of oil paint this is a bit more difficult. Oil based paint is now given a chemicals advisory notice and needs to be collected by the City of London (this service is subsidised by your local authority). Further information and details about this service are on this City of London Corporation link http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/environment-and-planning/waste-and-recycling/household-waste-and-recycling/Pages/Hazardous-Waste.aspx 

The City of London Corporation provides a collection service for boxed chemical and paint only. You are entitled to three collections of 50L of containers per rolling year. Chemicals and paint tins must be put into cardboard boxes for collection.

For further details, then either speak to a staff member at one of the Council’s recycling centres or contact Croydon Council direct.


Update 23/10/17

The Boundary Commission for England (BCE) have now published their recommendations for a change to all the Croydon Parliamentary Wards (17/10/17).

The new Parliamentary Wards are based on the old Local Govt electoral Wards in Croydon that have recently been proposed to be changed by the Local Govt Boundary Commission!

A new Croydon South-East Parliamentary Constituency would be made up of six current wards (Addiscombe, Ashburton, Fieldway and New Addington wards, Heathfield and Shirley), but with the added Selsdon and Ballards, and Sanderstead.

The Croydon South-West Parliamentary Constituency would be made up of Coulsdon East, Coulsdon West, Croham, Croydon Central’s Fairfield ward, plus Kenley, Purley and Waddon Wards.

This means the RRA area would be split into two Parliamentary Constituencies (currently just Croydon South Constituency).

The public now have the chance to comment further until 11 December 2017.

The proposed changes for the whole country and Northern Ireland then have to be approved by Parliament! More details on this link

Link to BCE website and enter your postcode.

Riddlesdown has another new notice board!

New 17/3/18

The RRA has another new notice board in Riddlesdown. This one is located in Lower Barn Rd, at the junction with Mitchley Ave. It replaces the old wooden board (on concrete posts) which had to be removed because it was dangerous.

Many thanks go again to Croydon Council and the Sanderstead Ward Councillors (Cllr Yvette Hopley) for providing the funds from their community budget, to allow the RRA to purchase this notice board. Thanks also go to Steve Iles, Director of Streets at the Council for coordinating this.

The board was erected free of charge, by the Kier Group, (Croydon Council's Highways Contractor) and the RRA are grateful to them as well. The board was manufactured by Hallmark in Uckfield (previously in South Croydon).

The board is for all Riddlesdown residents/groups use, but please no notices advertising goods for sale, or services provided. The RRA's other notice boards are located by the Pharmacy in Lower Barn Rd, on the side wall of St Edmund's Church, by the K&K store in Mitchley Ave and on the Green in Lower Barn Rd by the Station

Back to Top of Page

Back to Home Page