H O M E  P A G E



MESSAGE BOARD



REPORTS FROM THE RECORDER & ADVERTISING RATES

The Riddlesdown Recorder
 On Line


PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Weekly Planning List

Streets A-L

Streets M-Z

Non-residential Nearby


PLANNING ADVICE ON

Planning Applications

Building Control Applications


USEFUL LOCAL INFORMATION

 & LINKS

Local Croydon Council Facilities,

Council Information, MP

and Contact Details


Information on Local Healthcare, Leisure,

Facilities & Shops


Police Contact Numbers;

CBNWA Crime

and Scam Information


Transport - Rail, Road & Bus Information & Reports


Events


Community Page
(Things to do, join and help with)


ABOUT THE

RIDDLESDOWN

RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION

A Brief History

The RRA Area

The Committee

Collegiate Liaison Officer

RRA AGM Minutes

Latest accounts

Archive

History from the Recorder


ABOUT RIDDLESDOWN
AND ITS COMMON

A Description

Short Walks and Teas

Picture Gallery



CONTACT US



Privacy Statement


Terms of Use


Founded 1937

AGM 2016

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE RIDDLESDOWN RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION (RRA)


Held on: Wednesday 20 April 2016 at 7.00pm at: Riddlesdown Collegiate


Apologies were received from Nick Tennant, Neil Tarrant, Keith Powell and Cllr Simon Brew.


Councillors Lynne Hale and Yvette Hopley also attended the meeting.


Minutes of the previous AGM:

Minutes were distributed to those attending and were approved and taken as an accurate record of the 2015 AGM.  


Action Points arising from the 2015 AGM


Action: Brian to take up with councillors that contrary to the planning permission granted, the land and hard-standing off Mitchley Hill/Dunmail Drive is not adequately gated leaving the land too easily accessible to, for example, travellers.   


Brian reported that the land is now gated although there are still concerns that the hardstanding is larger than the planning permission granted.


Action:  RRA to write to council to ask its intentions about green refuse collection and start a petition if it looks like the service will stop.


The green waste service has been discontinued.  Residents have noted more bonfires and fly-tipping and that the recycling centre at Purley Oaks is now busier.  Residents have advised that gates there are closing earlier than advertised times.  The RRA considers that the opening hours at the recycling centre need to be a) adhered to, and b) possibly extended.


Treasurers Report – Linda Bevin

Following the last AGM the accounts were audited and some discrepancies of a technical nature were noted.  In particular, the treatment of an invoice for £1102 outstanding at the end of the year was incorrect.  These corrections reduce the surplus for the year to £978.74.  The final total of funds at the end of 2014 is £43,908.01 (previously stated at the 2015 AGM to be £44,331.79).


The previous treasurer, Bernard Munn resigned shortly after the AGM last year.  Linda Bevin took over as treasurer in June 2015.


The main issue for the new treasurer has been to get the new signatories sorted out on the accounts, which proved surprisingly challenging and time-consuming due to bank errors.


The income and expenditure account for 2015 was circulated to the meeting.  These accounts have been audited.  The treasurer noted the following:


Membership income fairly steady – slightly up on 2014

Other income – mostly compensation from the bank for poor service in dealing with change of signatories.  A small contribution from Amazon website link.

Only one issue of Recorder so income and expenses both down for this.

“Office” costs up – mainly phone calls in connection with changes to bank account, also some stationery purchased.

Children’s Christmas party expenditure £610.92 in total.


An overall surplus of £1132.61 was reported in 2015, even with the additional expenditure on the children’s party, and the total funds now stand at £45,040.62.  Of this, £24,722 is “restricted funds” which are held as a” fighting fund” for the protection of the greenbelt.  


The new treasurer also investigated interest bearing accounts.  The best available option, which keeps the easy access we require, paid a paltry 0.05%.  Assuming the RRA put £20,000 into a savings account, this would barely give us double figures in interest.  Given the difficulties, time and cost experienced in simply changing signatories at the bank, the new treasurer was disinclined to further rearrange the finances this year.


In response to questions, it was advised that advertising rates for the recorder have risen, increasing the ratio of income to expenditure from this source.  It was also advised that the website costs are very low, with only a small fee for the domain name included in the “sundries” section of the accounts.


Chairman’s report - Brian Longman

Brian extended the following thanks:


To Phil Thomas for his work on the website, Facebook page and planning and environmental matters.

To Linda Bevin for her work as treasurer and secretary.

To Neil Tarrant for his work on the Riddlesdown Recorder and Christmas party.

To John Rapp for his work on membership and transport


Purley Hospital

RRA has liaised with other local residents associations to campaign to improvements to the minor injuries unit (MIU).  Not 100% successful, although much has been achieved including the X-ray facilities now being available to the MIU. The RRA continues to campaign on this issue.


Local Shops

Pharmacy – lost its “essential pharmacy” grant and there were concerns whether it could break even without this.  It is now included under the “healthy living” scheme, able to deal with minor ailments and is staying open.  Residents are urged to get their prescriptions locally from this excellent chemist.

Post Office – All sub post offices are being transformed.  Extended opening hours, change of layout to open counter. The Local post office is staying open. Thanks were extended to Vijay and his family for continuing to provide this service to the local community.


Green belt

The chairman stressed the need for the fighting fund to buy legal help if needed.  He also drew attention to the councils “local plan” which outlines changes to the greenbelt.  In our area there are only additions, but some other local areas are less lucky.  


In response to a question about ownership of the woods, the chairman explained that various individuals and developers own different plots and the situation is quite complex.


Also noted was a potential by Vodafone and O2 to relocate the mobile phone mast at the bottom of Dunmail Drive as the land owner has served Notice to Quit.  Changes could affect reception for local residents.


Environment

Flooding at the station in Lower Barn Road BR is still an issue.  Assurances were given during the planning process for the new block of flats, that with the increased drainage, flooding would not occur following the build.

Litter a significant problem due to reduced road sweeping in the south of the borough.  Phil has “walked” problem areas with local councillors and there has been some progress, but it is slow.

Fly tipping is on the increase.


Fun day/Childrens party

There has been no Fun day for the last 2 years due to practical difficulties and costs.  However, the children’s Christmas party has been reinstated and was a great success.  Social media advertising helped to promote this event.  The RRA plan to run it again this year.  


Policing

Safer neighbourhood team meetings are open to the public and residents are encouraged to attend.  The meetings look at local crime, and set priorities.  Residents are strongly advised to lock doors and cars as a significant proportion of thefts occur from unlocked premises and vehicles.  


Biggin Hill

Changes to flight paths and an increase in operating hours are proposed.  The change is likely to affect the local area.  The airport failed to adequately advertise the consultation and it was only by chance the RRA picked up the proposed changes to the flight paths.  We have liaised with eight other adjoining RAs and proposed alternatives.  A response is awaited from Biggin Hill.


AGM Committee Elections


Phil extended a vote of thanks to Brian for his hard work as Chairman of the RRA, and also the other voluntary work that he is involved with.


It was noted that Fred Wallis has stepped down.  Janice Kedwards has also resigned as social secretary but will remain on the committee.  Both were thanked for their hard work in the past.


Those present were asked if anyone wished to stand for any posts.  

Linda Bevin’s reappointment as Treasurer was proposed, seconded and approved by the meeting.

Brian Longman’s reappointment as Chairman was proposed, seconded and approved by the meeting.

All other committee members were also nominated, seconded and approved en-bloc by the meeting.  

All committee members were thanked for their hard work and those present were introduced to the meeting and their roles outlined.


Brian appealed for new road stewards and committee members.


Any other business


Community event 18 June

Councillors Lynne Hale talked about this festival which will be held on the Gruffey and at All Saints church.  A leaflet was handed out.  Residents asked to note that Onslow Gardens will be closed on this date.


Transport

John Rapp, transport secretary, has been in contact with TFL about the poor service of the 412 bus.  There have been particular problems with buses not running for the whole route, skipping stops or running empty, leaving Riddlesdown residents stranded.  The RRA have not received a satisfactory response and residents are urged to contact the RRA with issues.  Local councillors have been advised.


Libraries

A consultation is underway to change the library service.  Residents are invited to contribute their views.  Can be done online or there is a paper version.  There is a link on the RRA website.  The consultation ends May 2nd.


Streetlights

The change to the lights is 80%complete and has mostly gone well.  There have been few complaints, but some individual properties adversely affected.  Shields are available for the back and front of the lamp to cut down light shining into houses on request.


20mph zones

Councillors reported that 20mph zones are being introduced in the north west of the borough and a consultation is ongoing in  north east Croydon. A consultation will be carried out in relation to the south of the borough in due course.  It was noted that there are substantial costs involved in additional signage, and its effectiveness would depend on how well it is enforced – which also costs money.


Riddlesdown Collegiate

A local resident advised that a few years ago at the AGM, the school head suggested that facilities would be available to the community.  This does not appear to have happened.

Action: Brian to discuss with school head.


Minutes taken by Linda Bevin, Secretary



Back to top of Page


Back to Home page