H O M E  P A G E


MESSAGE BOARD


FACEBOOK


REPORTS FROM THE RECORDER & ADVERTISING RATES

The Riddlesdown Recorder
 On Line


PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Weekly Planning List

Streets A-L


Streets M-Z


Non-residential Nearby


PLANNING ADVICE ON

Planning Applications


Building Control Applications


USEFUL LOCAL INFORMATION & LINKS

Croydon Council Facilities,

Council Information, MP

and Contact Details


Information on Local Healthcare, Leisure,

Facilities & Shops


Police Contact Numbers;

CBNWA Crime

and Scam Information


Transport - Rail, Road & Bus Information & Reports


Events


Community Page
(Things to do, join and help with)


ABOUT THE

RIDDLESDOWN

RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION

A Brief History


The RRA Area


The Committee


Collegiate Liaison Officer


RRA AGM Minutes


Latest accounts


Archive


History from the Recorder


ABOUT RIDDLESDOWN
AND ITS COMMON

A Description


Short Walks and Teas


Picture Gallery


CONTACT US



Privacy Statement & GDPR


Terms of Use














Founded 1937

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Riddlesdown Residents' Association:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

RRA AGM Minutes

AGM Minutes - 2011 - Link

AGM Minutes - 2012 - Link

AGM Minutes - 2013 - Link

AGM Minutes - 2014 - Link

AGM Minutes - 2015 - Link

AGM Minutes - 2016 - Link

AGM Minutes - 2017 - Link


AGM 2018

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE

RIDDLESDOWN RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION (RRA)

Held on: Wednesday 11 April 2018 at 7.30pm

At: St Edmund’s Church Hall, Mitchley Ave

Apologies were received from: Linda Bevin (Treasurer) and Richard Wragg (St Edmund’s Care Group)

Sanderstead Ward Councillors Yvette Hopley and Lynne Hale also attended the meeting.

The meeting was opened by Brian Longman, RRA Chairman who then introduced and welcomed the meetings guest speakers.


Prior to the main AGM a presentation was made by SGN and Essex Utilities


Proposed major gas works on Grisedale Gardens, Buttermere Gardens and Derwent Drive


The meeting began with presentations from Lee Allison representing Southern Gas Networks (SGN) and Rob Heller - Essex Utilities (contractor). They explained that the local gas network is at the end of its working life, meaning essential works are required to replace the old cast iron mains with new polypropylene pipes. Traffic management will be in place for all the works, which are in three main phases:


i) 18 June – Grisedale Gardens and Grisedale Close - will need to close footpaths given working in 100 m sections which will involve digging holes outside each property. Estimated 1 month to carry out works.


ii) 23 July (start of school holidays) – Buttermere Gardens – complex work given that the road provides the main gas connection to the school. Need to enlarge the gas main which means full road closure with no through traffic. However, contractors will try and allow vehicular access for residents between 8.00 - 4.00pm. Estimated 2 months to carry out works.


iii) 2 September (end of school holidays) - move into Derwent Drive - will have a one way system for traffic. Estimated 4 months for works.


The contractors will notify people 5 days before they need access to the gas meters in properties to turn the gas supplies off. The intention is to insert the new gas pipe through the old pipe. It is possible that the contractors might need to excavate on people’s properties. Where this happens, they will endeavour to keep and reuse the existing surface materials (e.g. block paving) and make good any excavation, with work guaranteed for 2 years.


In a Q & A session, the following points were raised:


Support can be provided for the elderly/vulnerable customers – including supplying additional cooking equipment. Please let SGN know of any vulnerable people.


Buttermere Gardens is likely to be the most problematic phase – the contractors will pull the works back each night and put metal plates down for people to access their drives.


All excavations will be barriered and secured.


Gas supplies will only be interrupted once when works are being carried out in a road – meaning that Buttermere Gardens will not be affected by works in Derwent Drive.


The bigger mains in Buttermere Gardens means less excavating on Derwent//Grisedale.


Ingleboro Drive resurfacing  has being delayed until the gas works are finished.


SGN will notify Riddlesdown Collegiate of the proposed work times.


Residents affected by the gas works need to let SGN know when they are going away over summer holidays (where this coincides with works on their road) so that appropriate arrangements can be put in place.


AGM


Minutes of the previous AGM

 

The Chairman ran through the actions from the last AGM:


i) the Association had not being able to secure a PA system for this AGM.

ii) early turn around of the 412 bus. Following meetings with TfL, the number of turnarounds has virtually stopped.

iii) concerns over use of unauthorised footpaths on fields fronting onto Mitchley Avenue. The farmer accepted that the children would probably continue to use the unauthorised footpaths in the top section of the field. However he appealed to the school children to keep to the edge of the field and not drop litter or trample over his crop.

iv) litter – the Association runs a series of litter picks during the year which are well attended.


Action: RRA to purchase a PA system.

Action: RRA to discuss with Riddlesdown Collegiate the need for more litter picking to address litter generated by schoolchildren.


The Chairman explained that the 2107 minutes are on the RRA website. They were then formally accepted as an accurate record of the previous AGM.


Treasurers report- Brian Longman


In the absence of the Treasurer, the Chairman explained that the accounts for 2017 have been audited. He noted that:


a small surplus of £346.90 had been achieved - less than then previous years surplus of £1,330.69.

The current fund stands at £46,718.21, including £24,722.00 which is restricted funds held in the Woodland account.

Member subscriptions were down on last year although advertising income was slightly higher.

Other income included a £50 donation from a grateful local resident.  

The Children’s Christmas party costs were down by £88 on previous year.

Recorder print costs had gone up considerably.  

Action: RRA to look for a sponsor for the Christmas party

Action: RRA to explore lowering Recorder print costs


The report was proposed and then adopted as an accurate audit.


Chairman’s report – Brian Longman


The Chairman set out the challenges from developers over the past year – both in terms of bringing forward inappropriate schemes and making offers to purchase properties from local houseowners. He noted that none of the proposed schemes have yet started – a property on Riddlesdown Road is now back on the market for £1.4m. The schemes are all below 10 units, as this is the trigger for requiring affordable housing to be provided. Whilst seven schemes have been granted permission, none have proceeded to development. The Association has objected in strong terms to these schemes, being over development, no provision of basic infrastructure including off street car parking (e.g. this is a real problem in Riddlesdown Avenue) and highways access issues.


The Chairman explained that the Association has participated in the Public Inquiries for the Croydon Local Plan and the Purley Tower over the past year, and are hosting a crime prevention event with Sanderstead SNT police on 21 April 10.45 – 1.45pm


In respect of the new Ward boundaries, the Chairman explained that the Riddlesdown (RRA) area was now partly in the Purley Oaks & Riddlesdown Ward and partly in the Sanderstead Ward, with about a 50/50 split in area.


The 20mph speed limit had become effective from 12 March. Whilst the limit required more supervision on accident hotspots, it was stated by Cllr Yvette Hopley that Jeff Boothe (Croydon Borough Police Commander) had stated no additional budget was available to police the limit so it was unlikely to be enforced.


Finally, it was noted that Biggin Hill airport was still in the process of changing their landing and take off approaches and no decision had been made.

The Committee is looking for new ideas in respect to membership subscriptions, including switching to collecting subscriptions in the summer.


AGM Committee Elections

Phil Thomas noted that Brian Longman had now been chairman for over 20 years, and thanked him on behalf of the Committee and local residents for his dedication and hard work. Those present were asked if anyone wished to stand for any posts and Berni Munt put his name forward.. It was noted that Diana Chitty was standing down from the Committee as she is moving out of the area. The Chairman thanked Diana for her fantastic contribution to the Committee and wished her well.


Brian Longman’s reappointment as Chairman was proposed, seconded and approved.

Linda Bevin’s reappointment as Treasurer was proposed, seconded and approved.

All other committee members listed below were also nominated, seconded and approved en-bloc.

Committee members
Nick Tennant - Secretary
Phil Thomas – Planning & Environmental & Website Editor

John Rapp – Transport and Membership

Neil Tarrant – Recorder Editor

Frankie Wheeler – Footpaths Liaison

John Placek – Data Protection

Janice Kedwards

Bill Whitmarsh

Monica Pugh

Keith Powell

Jan Powell

Berni Munt (newly elected).

Any Other Business


Mr Desai expressed concerns over the car parking outside the shopping parade on Mitchley Avenue. He was also concerned with the growing number of high fences in the area, which are restricting views when people are coming out of their drives. It was noted that the restrictive covenants on many properties limited fencing to 3ft high, however, enforcing the covenants was problematic.  LB Croydon will only get involved where the issue is in respect to the public highway – they won’t enforce on private property.


It was suggested that other local stakeholders should be invited to future AGM’s  e.g. Riddlesdown Collegiate, St Edmunds Church and the Corporation of London.





Back to Top of Page


Back to Home Page